The completion ceremony for the Nagano Olympic venue "Hakuba Cross-Country Skiing Venue (Snow Harp)" in Kamishiro, Hakuba Village, Kita-Azumi-gun, was held on Nov. 28, 1996 on site. The total length of the courses is 18.6 km, and is a "model venue that has been made compact and that Japan can be proud of," according to Mr. Akira Wada, Cross-Country Course Certification Inspector for the Federation International de Ski.
The Cross-Country Course site covers an area of 38.6 hectares. In addition to the circuit course within the main stadium, there are A and B courses which are 4.8 km long, and the C course which is 7.8 km long. As the three courses are combined in the competitions, competitors return to the main stadium on a number of occasions, making it more exciting for spectators.
The control building which acts as the base for running the events is a three stored steel-framed concrete structure, with a floor area of 1271 square meters. During the Olympics the Nagano Olympic Organizing Committee (NAOC) will establish a site office, and a doping control room will also be established.
Construction started on the village in August 1994. The venue cost approximately 7 billion yen, of which 3.3 billion yen came from national and prefectural government grants.
Hakuba Village announced that they decided that the nickname for the Olympic venue "Hakuba Cross-Country Skiing Venue" (Kamishiro, Hakuba Village) would be "Snow Harp." After inviting applications from throughout the country, they chose the creation of Masako Kuriyama (aged 62) from Kamishiro, Hakuba Village.
Unauthorized reproduction of articles, photographs or illustrations is prohibited.